On the Bus

Today we are looking forward to our city tour. The tour bus was a little late picking us up at the Welcome Centre but once we got on board and paid our money we were off. The sun was shining, it was a little cool, but we knew it was going to be a good day.

Our first stop was Graceland. We stopped here first as one of the other passengers had paid for this part of the tour. She was being dropped off and would be picked up again in a few hours. We are not big fans of Elvis so we didn’t purchase this option. But we certainly learned a lot about Elvis as we drove by Graceland, saw the two aircraft that he owned and drove by his car and motorcycle museum. After that we were heading back downtown to continue our tour.

More things about Elvis, we heard about the restaurant he always had breakfast, the movie theatre where he worked, the recording studio he used……everything Elvis.

Not being big Elvis fans it was a bit of an overload for us.

We also got to stop and visit Saint Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. This is the hospital founded by Danny Thomas and his wife Rose Marie. Well we didn’t actually get to visit the hospital but we did get to walk around the Memorial Garden. It was interesting to know that this hospital only has 70 beds. All the care is given on an out-patient basis. Danny’s philosophy was that children recover faster when they are in a home environment. So all the patients are boarded in three residences (Target House, Ronald McDonald House and Tri-Delta Place) with their families and are picked up daily for treatments at the hospital. All this at no cost to them. The average daily operating cost of 2 million dollars is covered by fundraising and donations. At St. Jude no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family’s ability to pay.

We also had a short stop so we could visit the famous Beale Street. This is similar, but on a smaller version, to Bourbon Street in New Orleans. There were lots of restaurants and bars on this short street along with the original A. Schwab dry good store. We were thinking of coming back for supper and listening to some live jazz but the music was very loud and the barkers on the street calling us in took away from the excitement. So we did not return after the tour.

The last stop was to the Peabody hotel. This hotel has ducks in a fountain in the lobby. Actually they live on the roof and march in to the fountain at 11 AM and march back out to the roof at 5 PM. It is a big production, the pathway to the elevators gets roped off and away they go. Actually we didn’t stick around for the march. If you have seen one duck, they are pretty much all the same so we headed back to the RV for the night.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s